25 February 2007

Bad, Joker. Bad

BICOL Mail editor Joe Perez said he was somehow convinced why Joker Arroyo and Ralph Recto joined Team Unity under the present circumstances. When we were comparing notes before office closed the other day, he sounded impressed by Joker's "pag bad ka, lagot ka!" TV spot.

I'm not, by that ad particularly. For those who are dismayed, aghast and angry about Joker's descent into Darth Vaderhood, Arbet, Dean and Conrad have expressed themselves better than I ever can.

Joker's TV spot struck me as a wicked attempt to visually sell the idea that he is still the same fearless, fighting human rights lawyer and anti-corruption crusader who prosecuted Erap Estrada. But the symbolisms gave himself away.

For one, Joker's dragon shadow eerily looks like the creeping dinosaur shadow it was supposed to slay. If it were colored, it would have been more convincing, especially if the creep had a prominent mole.:) Secondly, dragons are not universal symbols of goodness and benevolence. In the Bible, for instance, it symbolizes Satan no less, the oh so cunning Devil himself.

Which leads me to my final point: I think Joker has grown very comfortable with the comforts of power and has fallen under its spell. He is no longer the same Joker I thought I knew, and looked up to.

3 comments:

Maryanne Moll said...

Maybe he has got something up his sleeve, nevertheless.

Your answer on my blog game was fast! :)

Willy B. Prilles, Jr. said...

I can only hope he'll end up redeeming himself, like Anakin eventually did.

The game came up as I hit some blank wall in finalizing my essay for the NPM seminar. Three pages was too short for what I had in mind. The game was short and straightforward.:)

Maryanne Moll said...

Hahaha. The game was really too easy. I suppose I'm out one book and cd. :)