28 September 2007

'Brontok' waylays my pc

SPENT the whole day resurrecting my PC, no thanks to the Brontok computer worm.

Since last night after attending (and proxying for Doc Butch Borja, our city health officer, who's supposed to be one of the ninongs) the wedding of my cousin Jason, I noticed all my USB flash drive folders already replicating executables. Then my always-up-to-date AVG antivirus software was decimated. Checking the web for solutions, I discovered and ran this Brontok remover, but it was all for naught -- batutilan an hinayupak na virus!

When I brought the machine to EDP, we tried other approaches -- booting from a Windows 98 command prompt (could not read my infected hard drive), booting from my UBS flash drive (did not work), and using Bart PE (did not work either).

That left us no other choice but to implement the old fashioned solution: reformatting my hard drive to extinguish Brontok to oblivion. Fortunately, it was partioned so it involved only transferring my data files to my Drive D, reformating C, reinstalling a new OS, reinstalling most of my applications, and upgrading my antivirus to NOD32 Control Center.

As I write this, my PC is now faster and I think I'm back to 75% of its original functionality. And I hope that's the last encounter I will have with Brontok the batutilan.:)

10 comments:

Dom Cimafranca said...

Kaya mag-Linux ka na, Kuya Willy!

Give me your mailing address and I'll send you an Ubuntu CD.

pian said...

TO ALL
I know this to be out of place. Please bear with me. I just want to create awareness by choosing the busy forum or the latest.
Do consider Dr. Martin Bautista for the next elections obviously (a senatorial candidate of ‘Ang Kapatiran’ together with Adrian Sison and Zosimo Paredes). He’s a 45-year-old gastroenterologist in the US who came home after 17 years. You can see from his background that he truly means service. For those who find him to be a hypocrite for working abroad, do understand he’s a family man who needs to sustain his family, that he will be able to keep his independence by not relying on public funds to support his family. He helps his countrymen in his capacity but it’s just not enough for there are millions of Filipinos. It’s a good start in Philippine Politics to have him and his party around.
I urge you to forward/text/inform all your contacts about them. I believe they only lack exposure that’s why I’m doing this. But I can’t do it alone so I’m appealing to everyone’s help. If all will inform their contacts about them and urge them as well to forward, we might hit a million.
We cannot afford to be indifferent now if we want meaningful change. Otherwise we only have ourselves to blame. BUT TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Maryanne Moll said...

Switch to the Mac, na Willy. And the Macs are stylish pa!

Anonymous said...

download the free antivir software at(http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php) and use this to clean this brontok virus. No need to reformat the hdd if you have this virus cleaner. AVG really is helpless with brontok as per our experience in the office. Try from time to time to use other virus cleaner (although it mean de-installing the previous virus cleaner)... de-install/install other virus cleaner takes less time than reformatting the hdd and installing all other softwares.

-= dave =- said...

Brontok? That's an old one. Been battling the worms in my diskettes back in college. So its upgraded version defeats AVG, huh.

Anonymous said...

Willy, why not try AVAST anti-virus? Yan yung pumatay ng lahat ng mga virus sa laptop ko. Otherwise, Ms. Maryanne is right. Go for Mac! Always wanted to have one but I am still trying to put the budget in order. Hehehe Good luck!

Ducks
The Quackroom

Makuapo said...

AVIRA works against brontok, willy. last september i thrice formatted my laptop because of brontok. i literally wept, after losing all the graphic softwares i had in my laptop. it made me reflect on switching to mac really. soon.

Anonymous said...

nudes of demi lovato http://trusted.md/user/demi_lovato_nude demi lovato naked photos

Anonymous said...

demi lovato nude pictures http://trusted.md/user/demi_lovato_nude demi lovato naked pictures

Movie Jackets said...

i love your work and its surprisingly helped me and i am grateful for the information given..Thanks for sharing