28 October 2006

Swerti mo pa rin, bay!

SOME FIVE minutes late at the check-in counter of Philippine Airlines in Davao last night, I was staring at the guy manning the business class line, where I was motioned to go. The economy counters were busy, obviously with other equally late passengers. Unfortunately, they came in ahead of me.

"The only seats remaining are business class," he said. "But you will have to add up P2,699."

"The next available flight is tomorrow morning," he told the lady who just came in behind me.

Cold sweat was forming on my forehead. Of course, I can charge it to my credit card, but I am not sure if the DILG and UNICEF--which sponsored my trip--will still be willing to reimburse the amount.

A 10-second hesitation on my part apparently did the trick. In the adjoining economy line, the two other passengers who came in ahead--both with confirmed economy class booking but unwilling to be separated--opted for a business class upgrade. Which freed the last economy seat available in the Airbus 320-200 series aircraft that of course went to me: Passenger No. 254. Which meant I will still make it to Naga as scheduled afterall. Which is where I am furiously typing this post.:)

"
Swerti mo pa rin, bay!" the PAL guy muttered as his machine spit out my precious golden yellow Fiesta Class boarding pass.

0 comments: