08 June 2007

Forward-thinking transportation and land use

IT TOOK me some time to wrestle with my column piece for Vox Bikol this week; call it a writer's block, but I had some difficulty organizing my thoughts, not to mention putting together the data for the agriculture sector.

Anyways, that's all water under the bridge now. On this note, let me share with you the presentation material of the UBC Transportation and Land Use Group, which kicked off yesterday's proceedings. And boy, their recommendation to convert Ojeda IV Street into a greenway, part of a bigger scheme to make CBD 1 pedestrian and biker-friendly was met with mixed reactions, including clearly negative ones.

I think Jeff Deby posed the critical question: "What kind of city center do you want Naga to have?" And Mommy Jean Llorin, the grand old dame of the local civil society, had the ready answer: It is something we locals will have to decide ourselves.

Before I get carried away, the slides as usual follow after the jump.

5 comments:

Urbano dela Cruz said...

Nice retort by "the grand old dame."

She's completely right, though. It will have to be decided by the locals. Just the same, that decision must be informed by what we've learned from other cities. By what works and what doesn't.

Will feature your posts and the presentations in my blog (along with my thoughts), if you don't mind.

UDC

Anonymous said...

How about Ervas' vision for Naga City?

Dapat talaga mayong sasakyan sa Centro. Pesteng traysikel, national road! Only in Naga City.

-= dave =- said...

What's wrong with that greenway plan? I've actually entertained thoughts of restricting vehicles in Centro.

The number of tricycles should really be regulated; too many and the drivers themselves would find lesser profit. It's the gaya-gaya mentality that destroys an entire mode of livelihood.

And Centro should have ample parking. The streets are already congested, what more if they are transformed into parking lots.

Anonymous said...

I agree that soon to be constructed malls (i.e.SM) will pose negative impact in the traffic and transport scenario in Naga particularly Panganiban and CBD-2. I hope this will be addressed soon in time for the opening of SM Naga.

Is there a Transit Study 2001 as well as Traffic Count Survey of major streets in Naga? Maybe I can be of help. I am transport planner and nagueno too.

Willy B Prilles, Jr said...

Dave and Irvin: The main oppositors to the greenway plan are the transport sector (which believes it will hit their pockets hard) and some of the businesses within CBD (who fear the move will reduce their customers base).

As things stand, they are more vocal; but we will have to hear out other stakeholders in this debate.

Eman: I still have your papers. Will touch base with you soon.