11 June 2007

A new layout

STARTING Saturday evening, my blog started sporting a new face, based on the Douglas Bowman's Rounders 4, but without the rounded corners. It is quite similar to Dom Cimafranca's previous layout, but without the icons and chinese characters.:)

A four-hour lull Saturday afternoon gave me the chance to tinker with the HTML/CSS code of my weblog after driving Lynn to Cam High for the first PTA meeting with 3rd year parents and a lunch interview with Vox Bikol's Pides Orata for its 25th anniversary issue. The PTA meeting was to last until around 5 pm.

Two of the six UBC presentations -- the urban design last June 6 and transport and land use planning the following day, incidentally the most popular among the materials uploaded via Slideshare -- appears to have subconsciously driven this blog makeover, without me realizing it.

I only figured it out after reading Aldy Manrique's comment: "The new layout or template looks good, I suspect decongesting the blog, among other things, has been a primary consideration in your new blog look. I think I will be missing the old layout...."

Irvin, who resides in Canaman, however had a different take; the new look, he said, has a "paralyzing effect" not unlike the circa '80s transport terminal transfer outside CBD 1 which remains a sore point between jeepney operators and drivers plying his hometown and neighboring Magarao.

Getting his drift, I spent some hours last night tightening nuts and bolts and taking out some more clutter, including the "Newswires" newsbar that I have really started to like. Maybe I will bring it back when Naga/Bikol news articles already populate the properly filtered Google News search.

But what about the previous one? Well, my other blog still sports the three-column Jellyfish layout; which means I can easily resurrect it here should I feel the urge or the need to do so.

What I find remarkable is how my old layout aged so quickly and easily, propelling it to sentimental status less than a year after my first productive trial-and-error take on HTML/CSS coding.

Oh well; as they say, change is the only permanent thing in life.

9 comments:

Maryanne Moll said...

Gret new design! I'm still bothered by the lack of capitals in the blog name, though. And that the subtitle is all caps and has no commas.

Call me an old fogey. My own template is from the fifties, but I cannot imagine ver changing it.

Anonymous said...

Haha! Ang akin naman, ang taytel ng mga entri, kapitalayzd. Mahirap mag-play of words.

Dom Cimafranca said...

Cool look, Willy!

Willy B Prilles, Jr said...

Maryanne: The lowercase-all caps combine was default setting under the Jellyfish template; I guess you can call it the "blog designer's license".:)

I had to maintain it as reminder of the affinity between the new and the old.

Irvin: I was at a loss, until I checked your blog again, which also sports a new face. If you're not happy with it, you may want to check the HTML/CSS codes, if that is possible under i.ph.

Dom: Thanks:)

Anonymous said...

Hindi ko alam yang CSS. Tinatamad magriserts.

Gusto ko rin gumawa ng blog na agregeysyon ng lahat ng hilig ko para di na ko magvivizit dito, dun, dyan. Komplikado yatang gawin.

Ang tagal mag-apdeyt ng # ng koment sa bawat entri di tulad nung dati. Akala ko walang bago pero pag tinignan mo sa "comments" sa sayd (way down) meron. 'Tsaka, hindi na kita yung mga links (namin). Hehehe Gusto ko yung kolorskim at font.

Anonymous said...

Waaaah! Apdeyted na sa Planet Naga, wala pa rin yung posts mong "A poor “D” in Philippine travel" at "UBC final planning reports now available". Tsk tsk

Maryanne Moll said...

You have inspired me. I have not shed my blog's skin, but have given my blog a new blouse.

Willy B Prilles, Jr said...

Maryanne: Whoa, it's my honor to inspire such a talented writer.:)

And the new blouse, which I actually failed to notice at first, is indeed a refreshing change, but only after looking at it up close.

Maryanne Moll said...

Would you believe, that was the most radical change I could ever make! Phew! That took a lot of cogitating (To change blouse or not to change blouse?). Hehe. Told you I was an old fogey. :)