25 June 2007

I like this 'fake' Harry Potter series ender

IF YOU haven't noticed yet, there's now a MyBlogLog widget at the bottom of my sidebar. I just followed Irvin's lead here -- and that included joining the PinoyBlogosphere community, on Bratyfly's invite -- and I'm enjoying the experience.

One of the stuff that comes with a MyBlogLog account is a header called "Hot in My Communities." A fan of the Harry Potter series that is about to finally be unraveled on July 21, the top entry grabbed my attention as I was winding down work at the office. It is a link to an alleged fake version of J.K Rowling's 7th and final installment, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

To cut the crap, I downloaded it and immediately went to the ending, and read my way backwards, scanning about 100 pages or so.

For a fake Harry Potter, the stuff I read appealed to the sucker-for-happy-endings guy in me. I dunno how J.K. Rowling's official version would look like -- I will still buy my eldest Ezekiel's copy when the price becomes affordable -- but this fake version is, to me, a good enough alternative Harry Potter universe. Especially if the original becomes dark as advertised.

As a final word, let me say this: whoever wrote this 659-page fake deserves some accolade. On first brush, it is a believable 659-page yarn; and writing all 659 pages organized into 34 chapters is no mean feat.

The graphic, as usual, was nicked from the New York Times.

8 comments:

Kat said...

I've read this too. I actually have two different Book 7 fanfics. This one has a website and the writer didn't really hide the fact that she wrote fanfics. It's pretty interesting and I have to admit a good story. I too will still get Book 7 when it comes out.

Willy B Prilles, Jr said...

Hi Kat! Actually, the reason I was having a hard time posting is that I finished Melindaleo's take on the Harry Potter series ender over the last two days.:)

She indeed came up with a good story. I'll withhold judgment until JKR comes up with the definitive ending, but I really like how Melindaleo tied up all the loose ends so that the baddies will die and the good guys (well, most of them) will live.

I'm actually thinking of writing a post about it; just don't know how to start.

ice9web said...

interesting post, hmmm pati narin si Harry Potter may fake story narin hay ano ba yan... lahat nalang may fake

Willy B Prilles, Jr said...

Aice Nice: Actually, the label "fake" derived from the filename of the PDF once you download it.

But with due respect to JKR, I think it is a misnomer. On one hand, the work is an appealing, well constructed one; on the other, it demonstrates just how much the Harry Potter series, as conceived by JKR, has impacted us, particularly her fans like Melindaleo who took pains in putting her 659-page novel together.

Agent M said...

Hi,
I'll cut the crap and make it short and sweet.
1) I'm the author+owner of the blogs www.blogforpeace.org and www.bloggingindia.net

2) I posted about the HP7 thingy in BloggingIndia.net and hosted the file at my server at BlogForPeace.

3) You are hotlinking to the file at blogforpeace.org. Please stop doing so. Instead, like to Blogging India -
Link to post announcing the leaked version
AND
Link to post announcing the leaked version as a false one

4) If you fail to do so, you are doing an illegal act (hot linking is illegal) and is punishable by law. I dont want to take such actions, but you are leeching my bandwidth.

Thank you, and I hope you understand, and take the necessary actions.

Mohan
aka Neo Garfield

Willy B Prilles, Jr said...

Ok, Mohan. I'll also make it short and sweet: 1. I've uploaded Melindaleo's 'fake' Harry Potter 7 to my own webspace, and 2. I've also taken down all links to your site.

Agent M said...

Thank you eternally :)

Craig Marco said...

I actually read this as well. So pissed off that it was a fake! Oh well it was at least a different spin on the end of the series.