30 June 2007

Vox Bikol and its online quiz

QUICK: What is the English word for "baligang," that dark violet bitter fruit that tastes better when shaken vigorously with salt?

  • plum
  • cherry
  • grape
If you answered "berry," you got it right, as I did when I took this Bikol quiz that forms part of the newly built online home of Vox Bikol. Vox is the weekly newspaper I used to edit and for which I now write a weekly column.

Unfortunately, that was one of the only four I got right out of 10, prompting me this terse message: "Kaipuhan po na mag-adal pa nin bikol." (You need to study Bikol more.)

The site is still work in progress, Julma Narvadez said, thanks to the effort of Fr. Tebelin and the Ina nin Bikol Foundation, Inc. which now publishes the paper. Julma's late father, Joe, used to be the Vox publisher when I was with the paper, until his untimely demise.

But I am very happy with this development, as I have been clamoring for Vox to make its long overdue online presence felt and fill the gap in cyberspace for news, opinion and information about Naga and the Bikol region.

Why don't you give that quiz a try and share your score with me?:)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most were wild guesses . .but I did better than you - 6/10!!

nacitta said...

I got 5/10...Congrats, Vox Bikol!

Anonymous said...

Tabayag is upo in Rinconada.

Mas magayon kun baliktad. English word an pinapatudan, Bikol an mga pipilian.

Willy B Prilles, Jr said...

Irvin: That would be OK if Vox Bikol is written in the language of Kristian Cordero and Frank Penones.

Either way, that quiz is a refreshing addition to local media. It's highly educational too.

Aldy: I wonder if there's anyone who's got/can get a perfect score.:)

Anonymous said...

Natetreten ako sa kanila bilang isang Bikol-Canamanon/Nagueño (kahit na half-Bikol-Rinconada ako, 'pero diri tatawong/nasusupog magsarita').

Kailangan na ring iistandardayzd ang Bikol.

May rayt (pa) kayang gamiting pangalan ng istandardayzd Tagalog ang "Filipino"?

Gusto kong iistandardayzd ang Taglish, purista. Tatawagin itong "Pyurist Taglisy". hehehe

Anonymous said...

Ung babae sa piktsur, kilala ko. Hehehe

Anonymous said...

salamat sa pag-omaw kan pigpagalan na voxbikol.net
god bless bicol!

Willy B Prilles, Jr said...

Fr Marlon, I like how the vox website is evolving.:)

Anonymous said...

it's commonly known as lipote