25 October 2006

A death that diminishes

DR. ALLAN Morano Ruizo and I go some way back, from the time we first met when he was still working as the all-around, one-man brainstrust of the Conrado de Guzman Enterprises. I was his counterpart in Francis Soler's fledgling aviation and airforwarding business, and our paths would cross many times as both businesses hold office at the Grand Imperial Plaza hotel owned by the De Guzmans.

Back then, we dreamt of joining forces with like-minded young professionals and put up a consultancy outfit -- with profit in mind of course, but driven nonetheless by the need to serve Bikolandia.

When I returned to government service to handle Naga's school board project, and later go into my fellowship, Allan went back to the confines of the Ateneo de Naga University, to his first love, to do what he does best: teach. In the
Small and Medium Enterprise Development Institute (SMEDI) outfit of the university, which the Consuelo "Chito" Madrigal Foundation supports, he found fulfillment in helping mold Bicol's young social entrepreneurs.

Yesterday, I was shocked to learn that Allan has passed away. He was nursing an illness, yes, but I thought it was manageable. The last time we met was a few weeks ago, when he introduced me to his boss, Dr. Edwin Bernal, College of Commerce dean; it was about a project that will bring a class of Canadian graduate students to Naga City and to Ateneo. The project was taking shape before our eyes, and it is with deepest personal regrets that he did not live long enough to see it through.

I was shocked to learn that Allan has passed away. His brother, Ric, is a neighbor at Grandview and teammate in our intercolor basketball team. But I will not be surprised if up to the very end, he was still doing what he does best: and all in the service of our beloved Bikolandia.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you said was actually very logical. But, what about this?
suppose you wrote a catchier post title? I am not suggesting your
content isn't solid., however suppose you added a title that grabbed folk's
attention? I mean "A death that diminishes" is kinda boring.
You could peek at Yahoo's home page and watch how they create article titles to get viewers to click. You might add a related video or a pic or two to grab people excited about what you've
got to say. Just my opinion, it could make your posts a little bit more interesting.


Review my site natural cellulite treatment